Although Granblue Fantasy’s English patch is reaaaally old news to the foreign gaming community, it seems to have slipped under the radar for many others. Which is a pity, since it’s a spectacular game that really lives up to its hype. Now that it’s available in English, definitely check it out if you’re into J-style RPGs – it takes all of a minute to get started on PC!
Getting the game: PC
*2018 update: The Chrome extension no longer works.*
This actually makes life easier. Head to http://game.granbluefantasy.jp/ and play right in your browser!
Set this up with the same account you use on your mobile phone , or skip all the way down this page to “Switching Granblue Fantasy to English”.
Getting the game: iOS
You’re going to need to sign up for a Japanese iTunes account, which can be a little tricky.
- Open iTunes and scroll all the way down. You’ll see your country’s flag in the bottom right. Click on it and change your region to Japan.
- Click ‘Get’ on any free app in the Japanese store to bypass providing a Japanese credit card. I used ‘Apple Store’ in the example below.
- A new window will pop up. Click on ‘Create New Apple ID’.
- Input an email address that isn’t locked to an iTunes account yet, along with your name, password and anything under ‘Address’. Fill out the rest with the following:
- Phonetic pronunciation: ウサギ (or any other katakana)
- Postal Code: 100-0006
- Select Tokyo from the drop-down box.
- Enter Chiyoda-ku in the box next to ‘Tokyo’.
- Phone: 080 55555555
- Now go to your device. Look for the App Store and log out of your current account, then sign in with the new account. You’ll be switched to the Japanese store. Type “Granblue Fantasy” in the search field and download the app.
Getting the game: Android
- Go into Settings > Security on your Android phone. Look for “Unknown Sources” and turn it on.
Hunt down the latest version of Granblue Fantasy by checking the playstore and going into more details.
Look for the .apk file and download it. Open Downloads and click on the file to install.
Switching Granblue Fantasy to English
On launch, your game is automatically set to Japanese. You should see this screen:
Hit that blue button in the middle and sign into your account.
You’ll be given an option to change the game language to English. Make sure to hit the “Save Changes” button before you enter the game.
Enjoy, and welcome to a world of addiction.